Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:17 pm 

I did have a fear to change and wasn't ready to fully change or do what I had to to change. Now I want to change. And I know that ACCEPTANCE is truely what I need and now I am back at Recoverynation looking to do the foot work to change.

II. If your primary motivation to recover stems from the consequences of your addiction...
A second common motivator in recovery is the hitting of 'rock bottom' or, in realistic terms, hitting the point where the pain of the addiction can no longer be numbed by the addiction itself. When the emotional pain of the addiction's consequences have grown too great, the motivation to end the addiction kicks in as the addiction is no longer capable of serving its purpose. Although this is a significantly more powerful motivator than the first, it too, is ultimately doomed for failure in long-term recovery. Or, more accurately, it is doomed for a long-term recovery/relapse cycle.
What happens is this: when the emotional pain becomes too great to temporarily manage with compulsive behaviors, the decision to recover provides an intense emotional boost that helps to manage that pain. The person feels good. That feeling may last for weeks, it may last for months. But eventually, inevitably, the emotional intensity that came with the commitment to recover wanes, and the person finds themself, once again, lacking the ability to manage their emotional life. A return to the addiction (or another addiction) is the only emotional management strategy that they have. This, followed by a re-commitment to recovery...followed by another relapse...followed by, well, you get the idea. The cycle will not end until the motivation for ending it has changed.
Those who are motivated by a desire to end the pain of their addiction fare much better than those who are recovering for the sake of others. Such individuals can generate sustained, long-term recovery efforts. However, in order to make a true transition to health, the key will be found in their ability to move past the initial stages of recovery and begin to adopt healthy life management skills that will allow them to achieve emotional maturity.

That was me. Now I want to change, period. Yes, the consequences suck, but inside I truely want a different lifestyle and way of thinking. Please help me moderators as I take this journey in Recoverynation!