Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:59 am 
Recovery Mentor

It doesn't matter how many times you read through the lessons within the workshop, there are always things that you either missed previously or where they resonate with you now in a way that they did not before. There are a few things that ticked this box recently for me.

1. Triggers have no power and are what you perceive them to be. This is an interesting one particularly for those who feel that their addiction has control of them and that they are powerless to resist urges that emerge. It is a question of choice, you can choose to dwell on urges and let them consume you or you can choose not to dwell on them in which case they can be batted away with little or no effort. Before long the mental association with triggers changes as you will not automatically associate it with being a trigger leading to acting out. The stress at that point is non-existent.

2. Opportunities to act out are in fact opportunities to show another step in your recovery. This is a question of your mindset, if you fear urges then you stand a good chance of panicking as and when they arise and then making bad choices. However, if you see it as an opportunity to demonstrate further development of your recovery then you can welcome them as such and be in a more positive frame of mind in which to deal with them appropriately. You can then be left with a sense of pride and healthy excitement for having met a challenge successfully head on rather than the turmoil of handling it badly.

3. It is the dopamines from the planning and anticipation that we are drawn too, not the actual act itself. This was a big moment of realisation for me and made complete sense of why I was so drawn to acting out but felt so bad immediately afterwards. I was focussing on the wrong thing that I was addicted to, i.e. I thought it was the act itself rather than the excitement derived from the build up to it.

4. I have recorded in my thread previously that going back in time I realised that I had 3 addictions which I needed to recover from, namely smoking, drinking and sex. It occurred to me this week that this statement is incorrect and it was in fact the drugs related to each of those that I was in fact addicted to and needed to overcome, namely nicotine (smoking), alcohol (drinking) and dopamine (sex). The difference is subtle but makes the world of difference in understand what it is that you are seeking to overcome. Having overcome nicotine and alcohol many years ago I can speak from personal experience that with both of those there was no withdrawal side effects whatsoever, so long as you had your head clear on what you were trying to free yourself of and recognised that the issue was in your head and it not being your body's reaction to being denied the drug. Knowing that dopamine is the (natural) drug to avoid makes it much clearer in your mind what you are trying to do. It then just takes confidence, belief and a total commitment to it for the recovery to happen.

A clean life; a clear conscience

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:46 am 
Recovery Coach

Hi L2R
I thank you and highlight

Quote:
It doesn't matter how many times you read through the lessons within the workshop, there are always things that you either missed previously or where they resonate with you now in a way that they did not before.

Quote:
It then just takes confidence, belief and a total commitment to it for the recovery to happen.

Again you nailed it
:g: :g: :g: :g: :g: :g: :g: :g: :g: :g: :g: :g: :g: :g: :g: :g:

stay healthy keep safe
Coach Kenzo

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20