Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:11 pm 

Exercise 5 - topic C/D

Clear Conscience
-Acting in ways that I see as consistent with my beliefs, fair, doing my best to not hurt anyone.
-Correcting any harms I have done to others.
- Acting with "right motives" and right intentions

Honesty
- Being factually accurate in my words
- Recognizing and speaking my emotions when needed and/or appropriate
- Not behaving in ways that I feel the need to hide or keep secret

Spiritual Principles of the 12 steps
- Keep the steps in the forefront of my thoughts and in my life
- Turning my will over, keeping my side of the street clean, seeking guidance through prayer and meditation, carrying the message to others

Integrity
- Thinking, Acting and speaking in a way that is consistent with my beliefs and values

Expressing spirituality in my day to day life
- Living in a way that is consistent with the principles of the 12 steps and recovery
- Translating spiritual ideas and principles into thoughts, action and behavior in my life.
- No trying to hide belief in a power greater than myself

Enhancing my spiritual awareness
- Consistently reading my daily reflections
- Looking at and understanding situations and life through the lens of spirituality
- Remaining open and curious regarding new ideas and ways to see the work of a power greater than myself in my life

Taking care of myself physically, emotionally and spiritually
- Eating a healthy diet the majority of the time
- Regular exercise each week
- Regularly seeing a doctor and dentist
- Maintaining a relationship and communication with my AA sponsor
- Not keeping emotions bottled up, but processing them in a constructive way
- Recognizing the need to set boundaries when necessary for my physical, emotional or spiritual well being
- Making time and space in my life for non work, non task oriented time for spiritual matters and growth

Humbleness
- Always, always seeing my life in the light of my Higher Power

Developing emotional maturity
- Continuing to recognize and face those things that "push my buttons" or cause me to respond in a way that is disproportionate to the situation.
- A willingness to look at, deal with and process past wounds that still affect my thoughts, emotions and behavior

Establishing a partnership with someone
- Connecting with someone for an exclusive monogamous relationship based on shared attraction, shared interests, and common goals
- Connecting beyond physical attraction, and a desire to build a life together

Connecting to purpose, meaning in life
- Having goals and values that go beyond my own self interests, towards something bigger than myself
- One is to carry the message to recovery to others who are still suffering

Charity
- To give of my time and resources to causes I believe to be charitable and consistent with my beliefs
- To help others that are less fortunate than myself

Physical health
- Same as taking care of myself physically

Sexual Intimacy
- To engage in sexuality with a partner in a way that is honest and vulnerable, and not just physical
- To be open and listen to my partners desires and needs

Feeling sexually desired
- To be with someone who finds me sexually desirable, and is able to express that desire
- To accept myself, my desires, limitations, history all without shame or judgement of myself

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:21 pm 

Lesson 6 exercise

I feel like I may have done part of this exercise in the second part of the Lesson 5 exercises but will seek to use the example in Lesson 6 to further refine my proactive approach to values.

Clear Conscience
-Acting in ways that I see as consistent with my beliefs, fair, doing my best to not hurt anyone.
-Correcting any harms (making amends) I have done to others, promptly. Within 24 hrs if possible.
-Regularly discussing any situations that seem to be bothering me with my sponsor.
-Taking a daily personal inventory before going to sleep

Honesty
- Being factually accurate in my words at all times and in all situations.
- Recognizing and speaking my emotions when needed and/or appropriate.
- Not behaving in ways that I feel the need to hide or keep secret.

Spiritual Principles of the 12 steps
- Attend at least two twelve step meetings weekly.
- Read recovery literature daily (Reflections, BB, 12X12)
- Practicing forgiveness any time I recognize a resentment, by saying the Sermon On The Mount Prayer.
- Live the third step through the serenity prayer, focusing on one day at a time.

Integrity
- Promptly discuss with my sponsor and take corrective action when my life is out of integrity
- Pause for at least 24 hrs and get clarity before acting if there is concern about making a decision or taking a certain plan of action that may compromise my integrity
- Promptly ending any relationship that consistently puts me in a position to feel tempted to compromise my integrity
- Set clear boundaries with anyone who's behavior potentially puts me in a position to have to compromise my integrity
- No debt, only pay with cash

Expressing spirituality in my day to day life
- Praying daily
- Always having a play of spiritual pilmigrage within 3 hours of where I live (ie. grotto, Gethsemani)
- No trying to hide belief in a power greater than myself

Enhancing my spiritual awareness
- Read at least one new spiritually oriented book per year, get recommendations from friends in the program
- Looking at and understanding situations and life through the lens of spirituality
- Remaining open and curious regarding new ideas and ways to see the work of a power greater than myself in my life

Taking care of myself physically, emotionally and spiritually
- Always be on a deliberate eating plan, to maintain weight at or below 200 lbs
- Limit sweets and junk food to once per week at the most.
- At least 30 minutes of exercise three times per week.
- Address/break chain if there are more than two days in a row with less than six hours sleep
- Six month doctor appts and annual dentist appts.
- Maintaining a relationship and communication with my AA sponsor
- Not keeping emotions bottled up, but processing them in a constructive way
- Recognizing the need to set boundaries when necessary for my physical, emotional or spiritual well being
- At least two weeks real vacation way from home each year.
- At least one dedicated weekend to spiritual renewal each year (retreat, trip, etc.)

Humbleness
- Always, always seeing my life in the light of my Higher Power
- Always carry/have a gratitude list on my person

Developing emotional maturity
- Do not react/respond to situations when anger or fear is the dominant emotion at the time. Always allow at least two hours before trying to address the situation, more if possible.
- Review, reflect and have a conversation with my sponsor whenever my response is disproportionate to the situation to identify underlying issues or triggers.

Establishing an intimate, committed partnership with someone
- Remain committed to letting go of past hurts and relationships
- Take risks and be vulnerable in approaching and communicating with woman
- Keep the perspective that the relationship is an outcome of enjoying each others company, not a goal or a task
- Prioritize common interests, goals and good communication equally with physical attraction

Connecting to purpose, meaning in life
- Remain sober and in recovery to be able to carry the message to others
- Actively seek interests outside of work, shared interests with others.
- Actively nurture friendships by reaching out and extending an invitation to something (coffee, breakfast, flight) at least once per month

Charity
- Annual monetary donations to charity of at least $1,000 to charities.
- Donate at least 1 hour per month to a charitable cause I believe is consistent with my values and beliefs

Physical health
- Same as taking care of myself physically

Sexual Intimacy
- Make every effort to be "present" when being sexual with a partner
- Not worrying about performance when being sexual with a partner
- Focus on the person and the experience
- Be open to her sexual needs/desires without feeling fear or feeling threatened

Feeling sexually desired
- Keep in physical shape so I feel good about my physical appearance
- To be with someone who finds me sexually desirable, and is able to express that desire
- To accept myself, my desires, limitations, history all without shame or judgement of myself