Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:21 pm 

Hello All,

I am working through the self help program and have found it really interesting, challenging and helpful.

I am getting a little lost and confused with understanding the differences between lessons 5, 6 and 7. It seems like I understood Five pretty well, and saw lesson six and an exercise of digging deeper into the values decided on in lesson five as well as putting more action oriented commitments to them. Having just read lesson 7 I am really unclear of the difference between six and seven. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank yo.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:17 am 
Recovery Mentor

Hi 110054.633,

The lessons up to 5 are aimed at setting the scene for the workshop and to produce a list of values that you wish to live your new life by and then to put them into some kind of order or priority. Lessons 6 and 7 then ask you to put together proactive action plans of how you plan to achieve each of these prioritised values in your life. They are proactive because you are planning how to do them now, as opposed to reactive plans which are more based on reactions to urges which is addressed later in the workshop. The idea is that in 6 you get used to putting proactive plans together by addressing some of the more straight forward ones first and then you can then go on to address the more complex ones in 7. I hope that makes sense?

I see that you have been a member of RN since 2015 and have made a number of posts in the past although I have not gone back to check where those were. I suspect you have come back to the workshop and started again which is credit to you but you may find it helpful to record your responses to the exercises in each lesson in a thread for your own reference and also to enable coaches and mentors to stop by and offer possible guidance and assistance where required. It is of course entirely up to you and maybe you prefer to keep your notes private which is fine although you will block off the opportunity for that support. If you do choose to develop your own thread then either post responses to future exercises to your existing thread or maybe start a new one here and then keep replying to it for future posts in order that it is all kept together. If you have future questions such as the one you asked here then you can either post that to your thread or post it to the community forum if you prefer which is likely to responded to more quickly by coaches and mentors.

Good luck!

A clean life; a clear conscience

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:14 pm 

Hello Learning To Run,

Thank you for the reply and input. It does make sense, although I still need to spend some time with it as I seem to have a bit of a block with it.

As for your other comments, I thought I was posting as you suggested. I did sign up originally a few years ago but didn't do much then. I have been trying to be present and consistent here working through the lessons the last couple months. I have a thread that is titled JPaul Recovery Thread where I have been posting my work from the exercises. Is that not visible to the coaches and people you mentioned? If not I guess I'm missing something else with the process.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:44 am 
Recovery Mentor

My apologies, I can see your thread, I just hadn't made the connection with the user name!

A clean life; a clear conscience