Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:11 am 

II. Consider the values that surround both your healthy and unhealthy patterns. Are they consistent with your current prioritized values? If yes, wonderful. If not, how might this awareness alter how you are currently perceiving/managing your recovery? Share your thoughts in the community forum.

I must be missing something here. I'm not sure how unhealthy behavior patterns can be consistent with a sound set of values yet within the question it says, "if yes, wonderful." This doesn't make sense to me and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this for me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:48 am 

I think what they mean is to use those assessments to measure if you are trying to change too much at once.

Like if you are seeing a couple of behaviors from the likely to struggle with relapse section, (E.G. turbulent relationships, and extreme swings in guilt), and a couple of behaviors from the likely to occasionally relapse list (triggers are feared, or jumping from addiction to addiction). You can maybe draw on these as motivation for change, or at least increase awareness of what is actually going on.

I am pretty new to the process so I am just guessing, but that is the way I interpret that lesson.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:10 pm 

Thanks for the input. I'm still not totally clear on this but your perspective helps to make better sense of it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:13 am 

I think this question asks you to look out if some of your prioritized values were also strengthened by your compulsive behaviors in the past. For instance, I used to prioritize creativity in the sense that I wanted to write a fantasy novel. However, in the past I used to compulsively think about storylines for my fantasy novel in order disassociate myself from my emotions. Usually this was part of a more complex compulsive chain that would eventually lead to compulsive sexual behavior. I thought I could write a novel in a healthy way, but because my compulsion was so ingrained in me, I couldn't separate the unhealthy parts from the healthy ones. Instead I started to neglect other prioritized values to the point where my life become emotional unstable again. In the early stages of recovery your mind can play pretty strong tricks on you and fool you into believing some values are healthy for you, even though they aren't. In short, consistency in this context is achieved by making sure your prioritized values are only those that surround your healthy behaviors.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:10 am 

RN is about recovering from compulsive behaviours. It is not trying to make you a morally perfect person. If you have a fetish then that is a part of your sexuality and you would gain value from preserving that behaviour.
Equally you may have, find peace with God, where in reality religion is not that important to you.
The question is asking you to tally/compare your idealistic values (healthy) with the values you're currently getting from your life. I think it is expected you are unlikely to answer, yes, if you are still acting unhealthily.
Where are you adrift and what do you need to do to get there?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:24 am 

Valramad wrote:
I think this question asks you to look out if some of your prioritized values were also strengthened by your compulsive behaviors in the past. For instance, I used to prioritize creativity in the sense that I wanted to write a fantasy novel. However, in the past I used to compulsively think about storylines for my fantasy novel in order disassociate myself from my emotions. Usually this was part of a more complex compulsive chain that would eventually lead to compulsive sexual behavior. I thought I could write a novel in a healthy way, but because my compulsion was so ingrained in me, I couldn't separate the unhealthy parts from the healthy ones. Instead I started to neglect other prioritized values to the point where my life become emotional unstable again. In the early stages of recovery your mind can play pretty strong tricks on you and fool you into believing some values are healthy for you, even though they aren't. In short, consistency in this context is achieved by making sure your prioritized values are only those that surround your healthy behaviors.

This makes more sense to me and I appreciate it. This makes it easier to move forward without leaving a question mark on the path.