Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Excitement
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:10 am 
Recovery Mentor

I have a question for those members of RN who have been through recovery on here for a few years.

I have been posting on my own and on others' threads that I had perhaps naively expected the feeling of excitement derived from an inappropriate thought to disappear through recovery. The stage I am at now is that a given situation will stimulate an inappropriate thought which will give me the sense that I could get some excitement from it if I was to let myself dwell on it. My action plans then kick in, the thought is blocked and I move on. But the point here is that I would still potentially get excitement from it if I allowed myself to do so. At the present time I am thinking that this will not necessarily change over time but I wanted to test that argument out with those who have greater/longer experience of RN.

The reason for raising this is that I have read on a couple of threads of those who have been long standing members that they do not get excitement from areas that they previously used to act out on. It sounded like either these individuals had mastered the art of diminishing/eliminating getting excitement from anything that they shouldn’t (that would be cool!) or alternatively their general excitement gauge had been switched down or off. The problem with the latter is that these individuals may not get excited about even healthy things which would not be such a good thing. I am sure it is the more likely to be the former but would like to ask the question so that I can better understand what lies down the road. I am an emotional person which is a mixed bag for an SA, I need to manage unhealthy excitement but want to be left with still getting excited about healthy things.

If you fall into the above category then I would welcome any thoughts you might like to share and am sure others would benefit from your insights as this theme often comes up in peoples' threads.

A clean life; a clear conscience

Post subject: Re: Excitement
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:48 am 
Recovery Coach

Hello L2R
your question prompts more questions

I have a question for those members of RN who have been through recovery on here for a few years.

Quote:
I had perhaps naively expected the feeling of excitement derived from an inappropriate thought to disappear through recovery.

how do you today define an inappropriate thought?
How does that definition compare with how you would have answered six months and even twelve months ago

Quote:
The stage I am at now is

exactly, you are at a particular stage in your journey, you will continue to change as your actions and emotions become more intertwined with your values, its called growing up

Quote:
they do not get excitement from areas that they previously used to act out on.

the key words are acting out, being intimate, making love, feeling that closeness is not acting out but it is heathy stimulating exciting and most of all satisfying, and as you will discover, replacing those unhealthy "needs" of addiction

Quote:
so that I can better understand what lies down the road.

If only any of us could answer this for ourselves never mind for others, but what is fact that wherever and whenever that road ends for sure it is far better from whence we came
good question :g:

stay healthy keep safe
Coach Kenzo