Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:06 pm 

I can't express the sadness and dismay to hear of Jon Marsh's passing. I haven't posted much here having only recently found this site, but I have to say that finding his site has probably done more to save our relationship than all the therapy, 12 step groups, reading and whatnot. He has left an astounding legacy and a work of such deep insight and healing behind him. My heartfelt condolences go out to his wife and children....

"From the moment you were born
Your death has walked beside you. Though it seldom shows it's face,
You still feel it
s empty touch
When fear invades your life,Or what you love is lost
Or inner damage is incurred.
Yet when destiny draws you
Into these spaces of poverty,
And your heart stays generous
Until some door opens in the light,
You are quietly befriending your death;
So that you will have no need to fear
When your time comes to turn and leave.
That the silent presence of your death
Would call your life to attention,
Wake you up to how scarce your time is
And to the urgency to become freee
And equal to the call of your destiny.
That you would gather yourself
And decide carefully
How you now can live
The life you would love
To look back on
From your deathbed."

by John O'Donohue from "To Bless the Space Between Us."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:17 pm 

I’m having a hard time picking myself off the floor………and I only spoke to the man twice. Two phone conversations, probably lasting about fifty minutes each, were a life line to a woman drowning in pain and confusion. It is not an overstatement to say the impact of those two conversations was enormous.

I’d spent so many years searching for answers, blaming myself, losing hope, then searching again until I finally stumbled onto Recovery Nation. As I began to explore this website, the words I read were devastating and painful…..but also reassuring and hopeful because I knew I finally had found the answer.

It took my husband and me seven months to reach the point, three weeks ago, where we finally experienced absolute honesty. I have no doubt this never would have happened without Coach Jon’s guidance. Afterwards, Jon let us know we needed to settle into the emotions of this event and that it was now possible for us to begin true recovery and true healing. He asked us to consider the couples workshop where he could personally guide us in rebuilding our partnership.

From a totally selfish viewpoint, I am devastated to hear of his death. My husband and I had just reached this important milestone and now Coach Jon is gone. Once again, I feel like the rug has been pulled out from underneath me. I am devastated, scared and feel cheated to have gotten so close. Terribly selfish I know, but the truth.

I share this selfish, personal truth with you, Christy, and your children for one reason.

I know there is nothing I can say to take away your pain and tragic loss. All I can offer you is a glimpse into the indescribable, REAL IMPACT Jon had and will continue to have on real people’s lives.

I will be forever grateful. I will pick myself up, read and reread the last email he sent me for its stabilizing influence, and continue to work the lessons. I know he said everything we need to recover and heal is here……and it is.

What an accomplishment; what a life well lived.

With deepest sympathy for your profound loss
focusingonme

Post subject: a time for reflection
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 10:50 am 
Partner's Coach (Admin)

Tomorrow being the anniversary of Jon's passing, I just wanted to take a moment to reflect about Jon and the impact he has had on our lives. I feel sad as I miss him but I am ever thankful for his spirit and legacy that has lived on for the past year and will continue to live on through the mission of heath based healing and recovery in the years to come. I wish to thank you all for being with us on this journey and for your contributions to my life which is what has Jon's legacy live on.

Be well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:58 am 

I would like to add to this thank you. While I joined RN after Jon's passing and never had the opportunity to deal with him, his gift of this site is more valuable than I could ever say.

I recently attended my first S-Anon meeting and that experience has really opened my eyes to what this site has offered me. I felt my undertsanding of the addiction and my own healing surpassed many of the individuals who had been attending the meetings for years, and I credit RN and Jon's dedication to that healing.

My knowledge and understanding of this addiction greatly came from RN. The tools I gained and learned on how to deal with my feelings and my own life came from this site.

I will be eternally greatful to Jon, his work, the coaches and my fellow partners.

Post subject: Jon
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:03 pm 

We have been away this weekend and I was unable to access the internet.. so I am glad to see that Jon was remembered here.. Thank you.

I was thinking about Jon's legacy over the weekend and considered that whilst he has a legacy of his work here at RN - he would probably say that what really matters is the way in which we use/ apply this information to live healthier lives.

So Jon lives on in our memories and our lives.

It's not the cards you are dealt that matters, its how how well you play your hand.