Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:48 pm 

Coach Sue : love it too. Let's hope the fish doesn't escape too often... :w:

Thank you Kenzo for sharing these quotes. I like this one especially :
"Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
:g:

Last edited by overtherainbow on Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:49 pm 

“If in the darkness of ignorance, you don’t recognize a person’s true nature, look to see whom he has chosen for his leader.”
― Rumi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:53 pm 
Partner's Mentor

Very timely. Many of us could plug this into our lives on many levels. I just read an interesting article written by a local church pastor who defines a false prophet as what's important in your life whether it's money, power, etc. - it's more about what gives you a sense of control. Leaders have followers regardless of where they appear on the stage of life - Wall Street, Congress, the medical world, the spiritual world, the arts, science....the list goes on. Food for thought.

Nellie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:29 am 

You can come out of the furnace of trouble two ways : if you let it consume you, you come out a cinder ; but there's a kind of metal which refuses to be consumed, and comes out a star.

Jean CHURCH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:48 pm 

I learned this, at least, by my experiment : that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. - Henry David THOREAU

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:49 pm 

"I said : what about my eyes?
God said : Keep them on the road.
I said : what about my passion?
God said : Keep it burning.
I said : what about my heart?
God said : Tell me what you hold inside it?
I said : pain and sorrow?
He said : ..stay with it.
The wound is the place where the Light enters you."

— Rumi.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:31 pm 

Considering that, all hatred driven hence,
The soul recovers radical innocence
And learns at last that it is self-delighting,
Self-appeasing, self-affrighting,
And that its own sweet will is heaven's will;
She can, though every face should scowl
And every windy quarter howl
Or every bellows burst, be happy still.

William Butler Yeats

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:21 am 

It is wise to direct our anger towards problems, not people ; to focus your energies on answers, not excuses. William Arthur Ward

Post subject: Re: Inspiring quote
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:07 am 

Just a few more to share:

The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any - Alice Walker

More marriages might survive if the partners realised that sometimes the better comes after the worse - Doug Larson

Genuine forgiveness does not deny anger but faces it head-on - Alice Duer Miller

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:14 pm 
Partner's Coach

Wonderful quotes!

Don't know where this comes from but here's my reminder to myself:

"Resentment is like taking poison and expecting the other guy to die."

"What day is it,?" asked Pooh.
"It's today," squeaked Piglet.
"My favorite day," said Pooh.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:47 am 

Wow Autumn rose, I cracked up laughing when I read that. It's so true. I found some others that either made me think or made me smile, and heaven knows sometimes we could all do with a laugh:

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us - Henry Stanley Haskins

The best way to predict the future is to invent it - Alan Kay

Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it - Charles R. Swindoll

You don’t need to be on the same wavelength to succeed in marriage. You just need to be able to ride each other’s waves - Toni Sciarra Poynter

One advantage of marriage is that, when you fall out of love with him or he falls out of love with you, it keeps you together until you fall in again - Judith Viorst

A wedding anniversary is the celebration of love, trust, partnership, tolerance and tenacity. The order varies for any given year - Paul Sweeney

It is a full time job being honest one moment at a time, remembering to love, to honour, to respect. It is a practice, a discipline, worthy of every moment - Jasmine Guy

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:56 pm 
Partner's Mentor

The past, the present, and the future walked into a bar....
It was tense.

You have brains in your head
You have feet in your shoes
You can steer yourself in
Any direction you choose. Dr. Seuss

Alice: This impossible.
The Mad Hatter: Only if you believe it is.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:32 pm 
Partner's Mentor

This reminds me of the Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz. If I remember correctly, the second agreement tells us that what other people say or do is about them. It's not about me, (or you )so don't personalize. "Nothing others do is about you. What others say or do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinion and actions of others, you won't be the victim of needless suffering."

"it's up to you to choose what to believe and not believe. You can choose to believe in anything, and that includes believing in yourself."

Where we put our attention, is what we experience - our personal dream. For me, this is a huge concept. My old dream based on my old reality caused me a lot of hurt and created a lot of drama in my life. I am no longer innocent so I can choose to believe whatever I want to believe, and I have chosen to re-program myself which begins on the inside....takes lots of practice and self-awareness...I'm a work in progress. My vision and values are key to this process as are the people around me who mirror my wounds. I can continue to evolve and transform myself if I am aware of my wounds. I can work to change my perceptions/my reality to fit me.

Didn't mean to go on and on...but it felt good. :w:

Nellie

Last edited by nellie james on Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:06 am 

Thanks a lot for sharing, Nellie. What you wrote is very inspiring. I wish you well on your journey of permanent growth and self-reinventing.

The same is true for me. What a painful, but rewarding process.

“Renew thyself completely each day; do it again, and again, and forever again.” - Chinese proverb (cited by Thoreau in Walden).

and

"If you are aware of your weaknesses and are constantly learning, your potential is virtually limitless" - Jay SIDHU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:37 pm 

You cannot calm the storm so stop trying. What you can do is calm yourself. The storm will pass.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next