Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Book Recommendations?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:07 pm 

Anyone have any good books they've read for healing and understanding? Also anyone have recommendations for books that your SA read and found helpful?

To wait around forever when, you were there first
First you get hurt, then you feel sorry."

-Cold War Kids

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:44 pm 

Your sexually addicted spouse by barbara steffens

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:17 pm 

One that has really helped my husband is "The Emotionally Unavailable Man:A Blueprint For Healing" by Patti Henry. It helps address that emotional immaturity of sex addicts, causes, and ways to work on getting in touch with emotions. There is a section for women too, that helped give me insight on what I can do to encourage him to share emotions with me.
Not specifically SA related, but infidelity related I have found the book "How Can I Forgive You? The Courage To Forgive, The Freedom Not To" by Janis Abrahms Spring very insightful. There is also a section my husband read about how to help earn forgiveness. He has found it helpful to understand better how I'm feeling, how he's hurt me.
I have PTSD from all of this loveliness, and the book "Heal Your PTSD , Dynamic Strategies That Work" by Michele Rosenthal is one I'm working through now and finding very helpful with strategies to handle and prepare for triggers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:52 pm 
General Mentor

Hi there, Need-Hope,

Firstly, I'm a bit wary of posting on this side of RN, I hope you don't mind me reaching out.
There is one book which helped me in my healing but I would not necessarily recommend it to everyone. I've written a post about it some time ago, you are welcome to check it out and see if it is a suitable read for you. http://www.recoverynation.com/partnersb ... 22&t=23014

I wish you all the best!

"A wholehearted attention feels like the nurturing presence that I always wished I had in a parent. Now I am free to be there for myself in a way that I assumed I needed from someone else." Tara Bennett-Goleman, Emotional Alchemy