Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:28 am 

Im not sure if this has come up before here in the forum.

I find myself to have an extremely poor memory. i wonder if it's associated with or worsened by the repeated trauma and or PTSD. anybody else having issues with memory?

not just things related to the trauma, as much as i would love to forget everything!

other things, in day to day life. sometimes little things, sometimes big things. like where you parked the car, or that you were supposed to get shampoo at the store, if you ate anything at all today, the date or day of the week. stuff like that.

i also am going through pre-menopause lately, i believe so some memory issues could be related to that too.

but an online friend recently commented on her memory issues, and thats when i wondered about stress and trauma, as she also has PTSD from domestic abuse. so that's when i thought that it was stress/trauma related.

thoughts? or your experiences?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:22 am 

I Definately found my memory was bad, I was also goi g through menopause, but I also found I was forgetting things after it had passed. I do think the stress and trauma had the effect of my not being able to get my mind in gear, I felt like I was in a fog, everything went to pot
My councellor said I had symptoms of cpstd.
It has got better over time as I worked on myself and stopped obbssessing over my husband and what he had done, was doing and may do.. That didn't leave much space in my brain for day to day things.
I also found myself forgetting the intensity, and also some thi gs my husband did and said.. I think I was numb and trying to normalise thi gs, having lost my perspective,
I started journaling to make sure I stopped numbing things out, and so things would be let go in writing and not circulating my mind adding to confusion and gaslighting, I also realised I had forgotten actual incidents when my husband had acted out etc, it was like my brain had been overloaded and went onto automatic, I literally used to forget if I had eaten that day, I forgot where car was parked, times, appointments..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:49 am 
Partner's Mentor

I had memory issues as well. They are a symptom of my CPTSD. They improved as I focused on myself and my self care. I also see a therapist who specializes in treating trauma and that has been healing. If you can learn to meditate, that is a big help.

This will improve as overall healing occurs.

dnell