Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: WallShield Lesson 1
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:50 am 

A. Three keys to establishing a successful foundation for permanent change in early recovery are:
1) actively committing yourself to change
2) not allowing guilt/shame to sabotage your commitment to change
3) allowing yourself time to change.
Consider where you feel you are in relation to each of these recovery keys? Briefly share your thoughts in your Recovery Thread.

Today I deleted an old email account that was a problem for me. I want to be able to make this life change without that being an old reminder or option. I cleaned up the apps on my phone. While it feels good to have a "blank slate", I am concerned about the hard times that are coming. In every other aspect of my life I can show discipline and succeed, yet this has always been an area of weakness. But all things are possible with God's help.

B. Beyond an active commitment to change, another important factor in determining your ultimate success is your motivation. Look deep inside and list ten to fifteen reasons why you seek to permanently change your life. Don't stop at three or four obvious ones, really examine your life and what is important to you. Phrase these in the positve. For example: " I don't want to keep deceiving my wife" would serve you better if written like "I want to be honest and transparent with my wife". Positive statements have much more power in our mindset than negative ones. List these in your recovery thread.

1. I want to live a Godly life.
2. I want to have well-being of mind, body, and spirit.
3. I want to heal the trust with my wife.
4. I want to bring joy to our marriage.
5. I want to change so I can help my son stay far away from these problems one day.
6. I want to enjoy good days instead of wasted days.
7. I want to be free of having a secret embarrassing problem.

C. I found the picture of me as a child. It was sobering to see myself back then. I was standing with my mom in the picture when she was still alive. I was maybe 4 or 5 at the time of the photo, and would have no idea how hard that loss would be when she passed away a year later. I recognize that addictions are often a response to psychological pain, but it's not an excuse. It's time to fix things.

Post subject: Re: WallShield Lesson 1
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:31 am 
Recovery Mentor

Hi WallShield,

Welcome to RN, I hope that it you find as useful as I have.

Just one comment to start:
You need to start your recovery thread in the "Self Directed Addiction Recovery Development" and under the "Self-Help Recovery Threads" section. Once you start the thread, use it to make all your posts.