Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:13 pm 

Exercise 1

A. Three keys to establishing a successful foundation for permanent change in early recovery are:

1) actively committing yourself to change

(I am totally committed to change and am willing and determined to give my utmost effort to change my thinking and behaviors and rid this addiction once and for all. This literally has been the bane of my existence and I feel if I were to overcome this obstacle that my life and the lives of the people I love would improve drastically. I already feel I've been in recovery before Recovery Nation for about eight months going to meetings, participating in recovery programs and workshops. This is another learning tool to help me I hope.)

2) not allowing guilt/shame to sabotage your commitment to change

(This has been a struggle of mine but I have been learning to accept it and channel those feelings of guilt/shame into fuel to further commit to recovery. I can't let my shameful sins and despicable deeds hold me back. I am better than the choices I made and I will not let them stagnate me while in recovery.)

3) allowing yourself time to change.

(I have come to the understanding that this is not going to be an overnight thing. I'm eight months in and still feel like a baby in learning about sex addiction and recovery. I recognize that things won't be perfect and setbacks may occur. I learned a lot and have applied healthy habits but I recognize that it will take time to develop and become second nature to me and that the images and thoughts and framework the addiction has created won't easily be cast aside and erased.)

B. Ten Motivations/Why I Want to Seek Change in My Life

1. I want to have a healthy fruitful honest relationship with my wife with true intimacy. She deserves someone who is transparent, who treats her with honor and respect and who is truthful and devoted and faithful.

2. I want to be a good contributing member of society. I feel I have a lot to offer society and have a good heart but have been bogged down by this addictive thinking and negative view of myself. It has stagnated me from really achieving and accomplishing life goals.

3. I want to live up to my full potential as a man of integrity. I want people to see me as honest and truthful. I want to be seen as trustworthy and not have anything to hide.

4. I want to be the best father, husband, son and brother I can be. I want to be a shining example of overcoming adversity and coming out the other side triumphant. I want my children not to live in a broken home but have both parents, involved and caring and there for them.

5. I want to please God. I feel that if I achieve recovery and do what I can to mend things inside of myself and transform myself into a better person not handcuffed by addiction that I will be rewarded by God with good fortune in this life and in the next life.

6. I want to live a meaningful and productive life. I see so many people accomplishing so many great things and I feel I can too if I wasn't chained down by my addiction. I want it gone!

7. I want to help others that are also suffering from this sickness after I have achieve recovery.

8. I want to be a good example for my children and raise them up and protect them from what I have went through with this addiction.

9. I want to be able to handle stresses of life in a healthy mature manner and not escape inside of myself when things get hard.

10. I want to live a fulfilled and contented life free from guilt, depression, disappointment and shame. Content with my career, content with my family, content with the relationship with my wife where she trusts me, and feels secure about me and loves me for who I've become in recovery.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:24 pm 
Recovery Coach

RP
welcome to RN
I
Quote:
am totally committed to change and am willing and determined to give my utmost effort to change my thinking and behaviors and rid this addiction once and for all. This literally has been the bane of my existence and I feel if I were to overcome this obstacle that my life and the lives of the people I love would improve drastically. I already feel I've been in recovery before Recovery Nation for about eight months going to meetings, participating in recovery programs and workshops. This is another learning tool to help me I hope.

no need to hope my friend you want to change your life, your values your boundaries you have found the perfect vehicle to help you
yes vehicle to help you is what I said because the onus is on you
its your life so it needs to be your recovery
looking forwards to your next lesson and soon

stay healthy keep safe
Coach Kenzo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:00 pm 

Thanks for the encouraging words, Coach Kenzo.

Exercise 2: A Healthy Life Vision

Spiritual Contentment: I want to live a life of devotion and contentment, contentment with myself, my partner, my family, my career and God. I want to have the best relationship possible on all those fronts. I believe my addiction was indeed because of a spiritual deficiency and I hope to establish that true strong connection with God that I lacked.

My Wife: I want to devote my life to my wife and being a man that she is satisfied with. I want to have the close intimate best friend relationship with her that we used to have BUT BETTER and vice versa where I can be vulnerable and honest and her with me without fear and/or hostility. I want to develop intimacy with her, emotionally and physically. I want to honor and protect her like I should've been going into our marriage. I want to support and encourage her dreams and wishes and help however I can for her to achieve them. I want to be unselfish with her and be a person of integrity. I want no fear of having to hide something or hold something back. I want to tell her everything and be an open book to her. I want to develop my integrity so she can trust me and view me as safe, as someone who is not out to harm her and won't ever harm her again.

I want us to enjoy eachothers company and be a team unit in parenting our children. I want us to live the rest of our lives together, experiencing new things together, traveling together and planning for the future together. I want to do whatever it takes to show her I'm worthy by being the best man I can possibly be.

My Children: I want to be a committed, involved and present father to my children. I want to be there for them and know them and be confided in by them. I want to help them navigate through life and guide them to overcome the challenges they face in life. I want to see them develop and raise them correctly and ingrain in them values that will shape their character so they can be upright human beings for their generation.

My Career: I want a career where I can be my own boss or work in a field or industry that is interesting to me, where my skills and background and interests are tapped into and where I can be challenged and thrive. I hope to use my writing skills and creativity to carve a niche for myself and make a comfortable living working for something meaningiful and enjoyable. I want to not be lazy and unproductive but have a work ethic that's focused and disciplined yet laid back at times. Whether that be in the TV/Advertising field, freelance writing, the screenwriting field or whatever, I want to dip my hands in different things that interest me and where my creativity and skills are seen as useful.

My self: I want to be confident in my abilities. In my looks, in the way I carry myself. I want to be in better shape and be comfortable in my own skin. I want to be happy and satisfied with myself. I want to take care of myself emotionally and physically and live a healthy life. I want to help others and be a contributing member of society. I want to volunteer and make a difference in the lives of people who are lost are struggling, or need a helping hand whether it be to my family, my friends, or my brothers and sisters in humanity. I want to be known as someone who was a humanitarian, who cared and who lent help to those who needed it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:00 pm 

Duplicate post.

Last edited by RepententRebuilder on Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:20 pm 

Lesson 3 The Role of Values

My Values List - What values I want to shape my life

1. Living a life of true honesty and integrity
2. Guiding all of my actions and decision-making to please God, first and foremost. (God-consciousness)
3. Being the best husband I can be for my wife and strengthen my intimate relationship with her.
4. Being an ideal, dedicated and involved father for my children.
5. Having an intimate, honest and beneficial relationship with my mother and father.
6. Having a meaningful,caring and honest relationship with my siblings.
7. Showing appreciation and contentment with what God has given to me in life, big or small.
8. Confidence in my abilities.
9. Humbleness and selflessness.
10. Pursuing a meaningful relationship with God spiritually.
11. Integrating Islam into my daily life and having Islamic principles guide my decision making and actions.
12. Establishing competence in writing and making it a viable part of my career and provision.
13. Staying fit and active.
14. Helping others who are struggling and less fortunate.
15. Keeping a good sense of humor in life.
16. Showing consistency in my actions and my daily living.
17. Being considerate of others.
18. Being a positive role model for my family and society.
19. Using writing as my regular creative outlet in life.
20. Establishing financial freedom and living debt-free
21. Eating healthy being a part of my life.
22. Being a teacher/mentor to others.
23. Feeling masculine and desirable.
24. Being recognized for my achievements in writing.
25. Being respected
26. Being seen as trustworthy.
27. A Lifelong student. Always learning, always open to improving knowledge, a thirst for knowledge.
28. Vulnerability and openness to closest confidant, my wife.
29. Having self-respect.
30. Maintaining composure during times of hardship and frustration.
31. Maturity in dealing with everyday problems.
32. Showing genuine interest and concern for family and people in general.
33. Viewing challenges as opportunities for growth rather than as something that gives me anxiety.
34. Reliability, keeping my word.
35. Diligence. Not giving up easily when things are difficult.
36. Selflessness. Putting others needs before my own.
37. Sense of awareness. Knowing how I feel inside and in my environment and how to react in a healthy way.
38. Organization in life.
39. Feeling of fulfillment in career and home life.
40. Listening more than speaking.
41. Having a forgiving nature.
42. Communicating feelings effectively.
43. Intellectual growth, debate and communcation.
44. Being a leader.
45. Improving my social interactions
46. Being comfortable in my own skin.
47. Financial stability.
48. Feeling needed, desired and loved by others.
49. Instilling healthy values in my children.
50. Connecting to purpose and the meaning of life.
51. Appreciating nature and beauty of creation.
52. Self-control.
53. Living a humble simple life.
54. Developing patience.
55. Feeling masculine.
56. Sense of purpose in the world/career etc.
57. Self-discipline.
58. Present-mindedness
59. Exerting energy on worthwhile goals.
60. Personal growth and development.

Dark Side Values - The Values that were extracted from my sexual misbehavior and addictive acting-out

1. Selfishness
2. Self-centeredness
3. Feeding ego
4. Dishonesty
5. Intense Shame
6. Guilt
7. Self-loathing
8. Secrecy
9. Curiosity
10. Boredom
11. Recklessness
12. Rationalizing (Lying to myself)
13. Belittling
14. Disengagement
15. Fantasy
16. Constant fear and dread
17. Self-sabotage
18. Insanity
19. Irrationality
20. Compulsiveness
21. Carelessness/Heedlessness
22. Self-deception
23. Debasement

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:12 pm 

Values Prioritized

1. Guiding all of my actions and decision-making to please God,
first and foremost. (God-consciousness)
2. Being the best husband (Faithful, committed, loyal, honorable) I can be for my wife and strengthen my intimate relationship with her.
3. Being an ideal, dedicated and involved father for my children
4. Living a life of true honesty and integrity
5. Showing appreciation and contentment with what God has given to me in life, big or small.
6. Pursuing a meaningful relationship with God spiritually.
7. Being a positive role model for my family and society.
8. Integrating Islam into my daily life and having Islamic principles guide my decision making and actions.
9. Vulnerability and openness to closest confidant, my wife.
10. Sense of awareness. Knowing how I feel inside and in my environment and how to react in a healthy way.
11. Living a humble simple life.
12. Maintaining composure during times of hardship and frustration.
13. Sense of purpose in the world/career etc.
14. A Lifelong student. Always learning, always open to improving knowledge, a thirst for knowledge.
15. Keeping a good sense of humor in life.
16. Showing consistency in my actions and my daily living.
17. Being considerate of others.
18. Having an intimate, honest and beneficial relationship with my mother and father.
19. Using writing as my regular creative outlet in life.
20. Establishing financial freedom and living debt-free
21. Developing patience.
22. Being comfortable in my own skin.
23. Instilling healthy values in my children.
24. Personal growth and development.
25. Self-control.
26. Being seen as trustworthy.
27. Helping others who are struggling and less fortunate.
28. Humbleness and selflessness.
29. Having self-respect.
30. Establishing competence in writing and making it a viable part of my career and provision.
31. Maturity in dealing with everyday problems.
32. Showing genuine interest and concern for family and people in general.
33. Exerting energy on worthwhile goals.
34. Reliability, keeping my word.
35. Diligence. Not giving up easily when things are difficult.
36. Selflessness. Putting others needs before my own.
37. Having a meaningful,caring and honest relationship with my siblings.
38. Organization in life.
39. Feeling of fulfillment in career and home life.
40. Listening more than speaking.
41. Having a forgiving nature.
42. Communicating feelings effectively.
43. Confidence in my abilities.
44. Self-discipline.
45. Present-mindedness
46. Being a teacher/mentor to others.
47. Financial stability.
48. Feeling needed, desired and loved by others.
49. Staying fit and active.
50. Connecting to purpose and the meaning of life.
51. Feeling desirable and self-confident.
52. Being respected
53. Intellectual growth, debate and communcation.
54. Eating healthy being a part of my life.
55. Viewing challenges as opportunities for growth rather than as something that gives me anxiety
56. Appreciating nature and beauty of creation.
57. Being a leader.
58. Improving my social interactions
59. Feeling masculine.
60. Being recognized for my achievements in writing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:12 pm 

Top 15

1. Guiding all of my actions and decision-making to please God, first and foremost. (God-consciousness)

2. Being the best husband (Faithful, committed, loyal,honorable) I can be for my wife and strengthen my intimate relationship with her.

4. Living a life of true honesty and integrity.

5. Showing appreciation and contentment with what God has given to me in life, big or small.

8. Integrating Islam into my daily life and having Islamic principles guide my decision making and actions.

10. Sense of awareness. Knowing how I feel inside and in my environment and how to react in a healthy way.

11. Maturity in dealing with everyday problems.

12. Sense of purpose in the world/career etc.

13. A Lifelong student. Always learning, always open to improving knowledge, a thirst for knowledge.

14. Keeping a good sense of humor in life.

15. Maintaining meaningful relationships with my parents and siblings.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:18 pm 

1. Maintaining Meaningful relationships with my parents and siblings

-My younger brothers- Send a weekly text via whatsapp/texting and see how they are doing?

-Invite them to come to the Sunday Fajr meetup
    -Talk to them or come in face-to-face contact with them at least once a week

My Sister - Call/text at least one time a week to check in with her.

Mom/Dad - Call them minimum one time a week and visit them in person a minimum of one time a week.

-Ask them how they are feeling, plan future gatherings etc. Try to talk past the usual fluff talk and go deeper.

2.Be a lifelong student. Always learning, always open to improving knowledge

-Make time in the morning to read interesting books we have at home.

-Try to read some at night before bed rather than being on phone.

-Make it a habit to read 10-15 mins daily in the morning OUTSIDE of Quran reading, Green Book reading etc.

-Start small, working on books we have at home then branch out and go buy books on subjects which interest me.

-Read a good interesting article a day not related to entertainment. (Stumbleupon etc.)

-Create a study schedule of things to learn, preferably on the weekends. Go over old notes of study schedules and see if you can get some inspiration from that to learn something new consistently every month etc.

Last edited by RepententRebuilder on Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:15 am 

Proactive Action Plan Part 2

1. Guiding all of my actions and decision-making to please God, first and foremost. (God-consciousness).

-Familiarize myself with God's words, his wishes for me and knowing what he loves and what he dislikes through reading religious scripture (Quran and Hadith) and material.

-Educate myself with helpful lecture videos on various religious matters and on character building.

-Pray regularly with focus and concentration, genuinely asking God to guide me and help me to carry out his will and not my own will and desires. Do this daily.

2. Being the best husband (Faithful, committed, loyal,honorable) I can be for my wife and strengthen my intimate relationship with her.

-Read materials on how I can be a better husband, religious and non-religious (Five Love Languages etc.)

-Talk to my wife regularly throughout the day, when I get home, listen to her. Be honest with her and rebuild trust. Establish integrity in my actions.

-Spend quality time with her at home and treat her out on dates and having recreational fun together.

-Treat her respectfully. Lower my gaze when we are together. Lower my gaze when I am alone either on the internet in the virtual world or out in the real world.

-Figure out what actions are the most meaningful to her and do them regularly. That is done by talking to her and seeing what she responds best to. Intimately connect.

-Be there for them. Be present and involved. As soon as I get home, I play and interact with them, talk to them and have fun together.

-Read materials on how to be a better father and establish a meaningful lasting relationship with them as they grow older. Listen to them, ask questions, CARE!

-Spend weekends and nights with them, planning special activities and showing a genuine interest in what they are doing and what they want to do.

-Read books with them. Teach them lessons and stories with a moral.

4. Living a life of true honesty and integrity.

-Talk to my wife transparently. Even when I have done wrong or something I shouldn't, promptly admit it. No more hiding things.

-Make my wife aware of my whereabouts through text, pictures whatever that will help her to trust that I am where I say I am and am doing what I said I am doing.

-Be vulnerable with my wife and "let her in". Let her know my true feelings, my concerns, my hopes, my fears. Share with her.

-Pray and give thanks to God for all I have been given in my life.

-Don't pout or mope or complain when things are not the way I like them to be. If you need to complain, complain to God and pray that he improves things for you.

-Teach my children and family the same, to appreciate all the things they have and not pout about what they lack.

-Praying regularly. The five daily prayers with concentration and focus and taking time out to meditate afterwards and "speak" to God through supplication.

-Read the Qur'an regularly and different Islamic books that focus on the relationship between God and Mankind . Take time out of the day, preferably in the morning at dawn prayer time and read and reflect.

-Watch beneficial lecture videos on YouTube like the Merciful Servant to get inspirational boosts of knowledge to understand God better and build more love and reverance for God. etc.

-Always strive to do the right thing. Stand up for myself and my family. Protect and provide for them through making an honest living doing something I love.

-Avoid lying and cheating and stealing. Avoid cursing and losing my temper.

-Always plan interesting activities and participate in beneficial events that are happening either in the community or at the Mosque and bring them along.

-Volunteer. Participate in volunteer opportunities and giving to the Houston Food bank or giving money to homeless etc.

-Spending at least and hour or so a week reading beneficial articles, watching videos that are based on living a more spiritual lifestyle.

-Reading about the life and character of the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) and doing my best to shape my life, my mindset and actions based on what he's done and said.

-Taking time out every night (Recovery Nights) to talk about our days. Share with eachother our struggles, hopes, fears, dreams.

-Give her access to all my passwords and accounts. Hand her my phone when she wants to look through it. Take pictures of where I am, call her when I'm away or she's away to reassure her of my wherabouts.

-When I've done wrong, promptly admit it to her and re-emphasize my determination to do better and improve upon myself.

-Share with her my progress in SAA recovery and things like Recovery Nation.

-Journal regularly/daily

-Check in with recovery group and accountability partners

-Regularly find a quiet place to take 5 or 10 minutes out to meditate and take daily inventory. Ask myself how I am feeling, what bothered me today, what emotions did I feel today, what could I have done differently. REALLY ponder my day and the decisions I made and the actions I did.

-Read material on addiction and mindful habit system to be more mindful of my feelings, my reactions to stimuli and emotions and awareness of my habits in order to make them more healthy.

11. Maturity in dealing with everyday problems.

-Working the 12 steps of the SAA program.

-Talking regularly about my problems with my spouse, my sponsor, my recovery group.

-Being open about my struggles to close confidants and not isolating inside of myself.

12. Sense of purpose in the world/career etc.

-Study on how to be a better writer.

-READ. READ. READ. Read tons of beneficial books, fiction books for inspiration, self-help books, and study books on the craft of screenwriting, media production, storytelling, copywriting.

-Set aside time to WRITE WRITE WRITE. Work on screenwriting projects, develop new projects and ideas, work on your blog.

-Look for more meaningful work in the media/writing industry. Aggressively pursue work.

-Do work for others like graphic design, guest articles etc for exposure and a portfolio.

13. Keeping a good sense of humor in life.

-Laughing and enjoying comedies with my wife. Sharing funny things I find like a meme and sharing it.

-Not take things too serious. Learn to laugh at unpleasant situations and look on the bright side.

-Spend time with friends/family and catch up and joke (tastefully).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:14 pm 
Recovery Coach

RR
great work
I have a very positive feeling regarding your recovery and hope that you do to

stay healthy keep safe
Coach Kenzo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:35 pm 

Thanks coach Kenzo. I appreciate the encouraging words. So far Recovery Nation has been a very enlightening experience and what is being worked on would greatly benefit non-addicts as well. Everyone should be taking time to really sit down and analyze their lives and map out where they want to be and how to get there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:46 pm 

Exercise 10: The Concept of Absolute Honesty

IV. Make a list of all the places where you have items stashed for sexually compulsive behavior

I don’t have any material stashed. My cell phone was one of my main acting out tools and it has internet filters on it now and a Qustodio monitoring system. My second acting out tool was my work laptop which has filters on it now and I added personal filters, removed extra browsers and connected my internet viewing with my cell phones monitoring system so my wife would see my activity whenever she wishes.

V. Make a list of all the people that you used as compulsive sexual and/or romantic object:

1. H__y: A woman I found off the internet and had an affair with for 9 months.
2. C_____e: A woman co-worker I acted out with for a stretch of time before my marriage.
3. T_____a: A high-school classmate that I rediscovered before my marriage and flirted with which led to a sexual encounter.
4. Strange Women: in pictures or videos on the internet (porn and non-porn), in movies etc. Don't know personally.
5. Strange Women in Public: People scantily dressed in stores, on the street, I objectify them and stare at their bodies and would sometimes fantasize.
6. Cell Phone: Used it as an object to find videos, sexual imagery to stimulate me to fantasize/masturbate.

VI. Make a list of all the places where you go to act out your sexually/romantically compulsive behavior:

1. Internet: Surfing for sexual imagery, pornography, erotic material and stories.
2. Bathrooms: When I bring my cell phone with me, I would be on the toilet compulsively surfing for porn and getting aroused/high off the imagery.
3. Hotel: Where I would act out in past affair
4. Car: Sexual encounters with former affair partner, phone sex.
5. Alone at home: Would compulsively watch porn, masturbate.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:58 pm 

I am working on Lesson 11, the assessment and I think theres some issues with it. Theres no submit assessment button at the bottom, so the page is incomplete and it isnt able to be completed. Can anyone help?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:22 am 
General Mentor

Hi there, RepententRebuilder,

It is not possible to submit the assessment form. What I did was to copy it all on my thread so that it can assist coaches and mentors get a more accurate idea. It also helped me with transparency issues, being honest, accepting the past and so on ... As with anything else here on RN, you are free to do as you think it's most helpful to you.

Keep up the good work!

"A wholehearted attention feels like the nurturing presence that I always wished I had in a parent. Now I am free to be there for myself in a way that I assumed I needed from someone else." Tara Bennett-Goleman, Emotional Alchemy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:05 am 

Thanks for the help, Ursula. I will do that.