Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Lesson 2 Excercises
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:08 am 

This lesson really hit home. Reading through it I kept thinking "this is exactly how I think and feel". I was off today so I went for a bike ride. Being in nature stimulates my thinking. I painted a picture of who I am or better yet, who I want to be and derived my vision from that. I'd like to write this out exactly that way.

Who am I, what moves me, what do I love:
There are various layers to me. This often made me think that I was abnormal as most of my friends appeared simpler than I am. Recently I have learned to embrace how I'm wired. The positive things that is, not the addiction.
I am a Christian. I love God and I believe I have salvation through him. Serving him and his church are important to me and plays an important part in my life.
I am a father. I love my kids very much. because of my addiction I have not been a good father. But I want to be one. I want my kids to be the best they can be and support them in that. I want to be there for them and play an active role in their lives. I want to know them deeply.
I love music. In many ways music is like my first language. When I can't articulate something with words there is always a song that makes me go: This is what I mean!. I play acoustic bass and bass guitar which are very important to me. I want to become the best bass player I can be. I also enjoy discovering new music. Looking up artists, going to festivals and concerts even though I don't know the bands. This is probably what I enjoy to do most and I easily connect with people who share the same interest.
I love knowledge. Anything that allows me to learn something or that teaches me a new skill, I absorb like a sponge. This manifests itself in reading books, studying for job advancement, travelling frequently to new places and actively seeking to know the history and culture of them, frequently visiting museums, being interested in philosophy, watching documentaries etc. Anything that lacks depth will not keep my attention for long. This includes people.
I love excersise. I always played sports and I enjoy it. Going to the gym and riding my bike are important to me. Apart from the joy it brings and the health benefits I also like to be fit and look good.
I want to add value. Obviously to my family but also to my employer and the community. Helping others gives me a sense of purpose. It gives me fulfilment. I have to be careful with this as people have taken advantage of me in the past due to this desire.
I love nature. Being outdoors makes me happy. Long walks, bike rides or drives make me happy. It doesn't matter where, as long as it is outside.
I love water. Anything that has to do with boating interests me. After my loved ones and people in general I love my boat most of everything I own.

From the above I came to the following vision for my life:
I want to be devoted to God in response to his love for me. Not out of obligation, but from the gratitude that I have because of his grace. I want to please him with my life in any way I can. I want to know that he is proud of me. I want to be devoted to my children. I want to be the best father I can be and love them unconditionally. When I am gone I want them to say, from the bottom of their hearts, that they had the best father ever and that my love sustained them through life. I want to intimately know them and I want them to know me. I want to be the best musician I can be, devote time and energy to perfecting my craft and enjoy expressing myself through music, by myself and with others. I want to keep learning. Stay curious about the earth and it's inhabitants and gain an ever deepening respect for Gods creation. I want to pass that knowledge on to others, mainly my children. I want to help people. Be an avid volunteer in various projects and add value to my community. Love people just because, not to receive a reward. I want to be fit, spend time on the water and outdoors as much as I can and enjoy my life to the fullest.
Lastly, I want to meet someone and fall madly in love with her. I want to share the depths of my being with her, without shame and have her do the same with me. I want to adventurously discover life with her and have a bond second only to my bond with God. I want her to know she is loved, that she comes first and I want her to be happy that she chose me every day. I have lots of love to give and one day I will, to the right person.