Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:01 pm 

I have read lesson 22 and checked other members topics for guidance and assistance but I remain confused.

Can someone assist in putting the lesson into words that are more easily understood for me?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:40 pm 
Recovery Coach

Hello FR
Quote from THE COACH

Quote:
This lesson is difficult. Do NOT allow yourself to get discouraged and/or distracted by it

The purpose of this lesson is to begin the process of 'extracting' the ingrained nature of your compulsive behavior so that you can begin to 'dissassociate' yourself from the rituals.
Every person that walks the face of this earth requires emotional stimulation.
Over the course of a lifetime, a healthy individual learns to manage emotions in a way that helps them to achieve ongoing balance and fulfillment.
In addiction, the ability to achieve emotional balance through healthy means just isn't there.

The main purpose of this lesson is to open up the minds of we addicts to recognise and accept that we do have an unhealthy failing of achieving any emotional balance, we believe that we need feed our addictive compulsions this lesson begins the teaching of the process of "measuring the intensity of your compulsive behavior".

What is important in the lesson is to focus on the principle of the general measuring of our particular behaviors rather than to focus on the exact numbers, grasp the concept of how the different elements come together to provide stimulation that help you to manage your emotions.
After gaining this insight and recognising our emotional imbalance we can then learn to manage our emotions by altering the elements and/or filters involved in our behavior.

Quote:
Lesson 22 Exercise:
1. Consider a very simple ritual that you have engaged in.
2. Identify three or four elements of that ritual (e.g. physical sensory stimulation; danger; orgasm; accomplishment).
3. For each element, assign a relative number for the amount of stimulation you think you derive from this particular element. These numbers are relevant only to you and in relation to other elements that you experience.
4. For each element, consider the effects of each of the three filters on the stimulation derived from that element. Does it increase the stimulation? Decrease the stimulation? Have no effect? Have a mixed effect (as in, sometimes it increases, other times it decreases)?.
5. Share the above in your personal recovery thread.

Remember that certainly initially to keep it simple and do not become overawed
Hope this helps

stay healthy keep safe
Coach Kenzo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:47 pm 

I appreciate your touching base Kenzo.

Again I was putting too much effort into understanding the math and not fully understanding the question.