Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Lesson 43 urge control
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:47 pm 

Hi all,
Lesson 43 is about developing a break in your compulsive rituals. My issue is that after about a year in yet to have an urge. This is obviously a good thing but in some respects makes it difficult to do the exercises that require in flight analysis.
It's this normal?
I am determined to never slip and come to the conclusion deep down that there is no place for my past activities in my life. Perhaps it's because I'm so focused on the topic.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:45 am 
Recovery Coach

Your determination is something to be admired, but it is still a good idea for you to prepare. Instead of worrying about the actual urge to act out, concentrate on recognizing the entire compulsive chain of behaviors you undertake when you acted out. That way you can develop more effective methods of derailing those compulsive behaviors and returning to healthy thinking/behaviors.

Also, remember that many of us have no intention of slipping or relapsing. It doesn't mean it doesn't happen simply because we don't want it. The better prepared you are, the better and more lasting your recovery can be.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:55 pm 

Certainly not skipping any of the urge control lessons.
I know it would be naive to think I'm likely to never have an urge and if it's rare then it could be powerful and sudden.
I have still a few techniques I learnt from the first book I read on the subject. Which should help.
I still believe that as long as I consciously catch myself in the act I'll be able to stop.

I guess that there could be more of a risk when things start to return more to normal. RN completed and things more on an intimate footing with the wife. Complacency needs to be avoided and I'm expecting RN to help there. Monthly monitoring etc.