Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:00 am 

I have a question for the RN mentors and coaches, any feedback would be appreciated?

After 5 months I have completed my workshop, but it was never my intention to stop and sit back, I am not naive enough to think everything is now sorted.
During these months, I have mentioned many times that I also attend an SAA group once a week and I felt it was added help towards my recovery, I felt that the workshop & the meetings worked well for me.
I am now at the stage of taking the "12 Steps", which I know has a slightly different mindset from the workshop, Does anyone have any advice or reasons for not doing so?

Thanks in advance.
T

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:53 am 
Recovery Coach

Hello T
congratulations in completion of the workshop, give yourself a big pat on the back, then reflect as you have noted
you are not done yet
you have travelled far and I believe that you now have the tools the wherewithal and the belief in yourself to become the best that you can become

You should carry on, perhaps consider mentoring herein?

now you asked
Quote:
I am now at the stage of taking the "12 Steps", which I know has a slightly different mindset from the workshop, Does anyone have any advice or reasons for not doing so?

I believe that if it is useful then one should use every tool in the box, but note the word useful
if it works for you and it is healthy then do it
I tried for a short while and SLAA did not suit / work for me
I tried it very early in my journey , you are much further along
I found the passing of responsibility to a higher power negative
I am was and always will be responsible and accountable for my choices and actions
The talking openly helped, but I also felt some members held on to their addiction with some sense of pride

my experience turned me away but that should not put you off
you are getting to be in a good place, going into the 12 step is unlikely to damage that process, will it help
you know what I am going to say
YOU CHOOSE

stay healthy keep safe
Coach Kenzo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:04 am 

Thanks for the input Kenzo,

I have to admit that as far as the SAA are concerned, I enjoy the meetings and sharing face to face with others, but I struggle with the "higher power" bit too.
I even use the serenity prayer regularly, but do not dwell on the "god" part, as the rest of it makes sense.

I have thought about mentoring on RN, but not sure if I have enough experience to impart as yet.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:09 pm 

Hello Theseus1112 .....

i echo Kenzo, WELL DONE, as well as "you sare not done yet....."

i don't believe that you can EVER be done with recovery on all levels. You need to keep all of your tools "at the ready" at all times, and yes, that IS experience speaking ....

Just having completed the workshop gives you a huge step up on most here and you insights looking back could be a great help to most of us .....

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:20 am 

Thanks for your comments 62andbroken,

I will endeavour to keep posting on here, and will also let you know how I do with the 12 steps also.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:09 am 
Recovery Coach

Hi T
Quote:
I have thought about mentoring on RN, but not sure if I have enough experience to impart as yet.

your simple statement
Quote:
I am not naive enough to think everything is now sorted.

tells me that you have the experience that you doubt
you have experienced the dark side of addiction, faced your weakness and have changed

Mentoring / coaching helps to broaden ones outlook and encourages one to self analyse further, I believe it helps me whilst hopefully giving something back helps others, there is no obligation on you but again what do you have to lose?

stay healthy keep safe
Coach Kenzo

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:56 am 

Thank you Kenzo,

I will have a long hard think about it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:01 am 

Resurrecting this thread I posted, to give you all an update on how I am doing with SAA.

The reason for bringing it up again is that I just read John's take on SAA and I liked it a lot.

The negatives for me are the 12 steps themselves, unlike this workshop they are not "in depth" enough.
I am doing step 4 right now and it does make you stop and think which is good, but I see future steps being far too linked to the "higher power"
Some of the steps such as 5 are repetitive - I openly discuss step 4 at the group or with a sponsor. Seems to me that it should be the end of step 4 rather than a step in its own right.
Overall I feel it lacks the basis for healthy recovery, there are no workshops to help you really improve.

On the plus side, I enjoy going to the group each week and I think this helps me enormously to stay focused. John's writing at the end has summed it up for me.
Quote:
Beyond your personal motivation and commitment, there are few better indicators for success than your ability to get involved with a healthy, live (face-to-face, ongoing) support system. In a Health Based Recovery, your participation in the twelve steps is considered on the same plane as any other value that you may hold. It is YOUR value. Our focus will be on your ability to derive the greatest value from it.

Your comments are welcome.