Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:16 am 

Lesson 60

This action plan will be a work in progress. I say that because I've been thinking about this lesson for two or three weeks now and basically come up with very general lists. I'm not sure where or what should go here. This list may grow or shrink over time.

Action Plan
I. Create an ongoing list of signs/symptoms of when you are struggling to manage your life. Note that you are not asked for the times you act out...but instead, a more general approach is necessary.
- When I am in a foul mood for no apparent reason
- Stressful situations with work or life in general
- Idel times seem to be a time of great struggle

II. Create an ongoing list of major life events/triggers that would likely create a significant emotional imbalance in your life.
- Pick one, any major life event that causes stress could be a potential imbalance.
- moving, job change, death of loved one, this list could go on and on

III. Create an action plan for what you will do should you determine that you are currently struggling to mange your life/emotions.
- I will stop, take a moment or two to check in with myself. Slow down and think about what is causing the feelings. Then once identified determine if it's something I can control or not. If it is something out of my control I will look for a way to remove myself or the object from the equation. This can be walking away from the situation to turning off the tv, etc.

III. For the first six months, review your life/this list weekly, adding to it as appropriate. Ensure that you engage in an honest, objective review

IV. For the following six months, review your life/this list on a monthly basis.

V. Continue to adjust the time between your reviews accordingly, but always schedule a review at least once a quarter. Why? I have the perfect example of why: it has been fifteen years since I last acted on any sexual addiction urges. And because I continue to assess my own life on a quarterly basis, I was able to recognize a developing unhealthy pattern on the love addiction side just a few short years ago. What gave it away? The symptoms/traits listed on my self-awareness sheet fit my current behaviors to a tee. And yet, I was totally clueless at the time. Such scheduled self-assessments are a critical aspect of relapse prevention.

edit 9/20