Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: TROLLING / STALKING
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:57 pm 
General Coach (Admin)

It has been brought to my attention that there may be someone using the recovery forums to identify people to feed their addiction. This is known as trolling and/or stalking. Although any site like ours is open to this type of behavior RN does not tolerate such behavior and will do all it can to identify who the person is and if warrants report them to the proper authorities. If a participant contacts you asking for any information or to start a friendship outside of this site please report them to RN at support@recoverynation.com. We strive to make this a safe environment for recovery and healing to take place and will do all we can to keep it that way.

Quote:
8) Although this is an online, anonymous site, any statements of suicide, homicide or other threatening behavior will be reported to the proper authorities and we will use any means necessary to protect those in danger. That includes the use of any information gained on this site for the purposes of stalking and/or harassing participants.

Post subject: Re: TROLLING / STALKING
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:08 pm 

this is my first time on this site and the idea of stalking behaviour can be frightening.But as part of an ongoing treatment surely such behaviours are symptomatic of the addicts compunction and should be confronted.There are equal dangers in fostering such an approach but society is too willing to sweep these concerns from view without ever understanding thier origins.Cycles of abuse are perpetuated in this way.How ever horrible the prospect I assume this is a safe site where people can disclose some of thier darkest fears and urges and get the appropriate support where necessary without fear of being carted off by men in white coats.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:47 pm 
General Coach (Admin)

I can assure you they are confronted and I hear your concern. But our site is here for people who want to recover, who want help and support. Not for those that would prey on the people seeking that help. In order to provide a safe environment we have to accept that there will be things out of our control and rather than take the chance of something happening we will err on the side of caution and protection.

Though the concept may be debatable, our practice of it is not :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:03 pm 

Is it stalking to read another person's thread? I am new to this and read some of the other threads for support.
I imagine it's ok because otherwise they would probably not be available for reading , but would like clarification.

Thank you

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:13 am 
General Coach (Admin)

You may read other's threads if it aligns with a healthy recovery, many learn a lot from doing so. Stalking is quite different and involves posting in others' threads or contacting them through the pm system to "talk" or even reading others' threads to get stimulation. These are the behaviors we refer to when saying stalking.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:27 am 

Regarding posting in other peoples threads. Are we not expected to do that? My impression of forums like this one has been that members are, to some extent, expected to give each other helpful feedback. I've stayed away from those because I couldn't bother to write something half-hearted.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:24 am 
Partner's Coach (Admin)

from Wikipedia:

Trolling n Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion,[3] often for their own amusement.

Stalking is unwanted or obsessive attention by an individual or group toward another person. Stalking behaviors are related to harassment and intimidation and may include following the victim in person or monitoring them.

In the context of this community, stalking does not have to include intentional intimidation. The recipient's psychological experience of the unwanted attention is the deciding factor of whether stalking is taking place. This is why we have the rule of members not posting in each others' personal healing and recovery threads. Without asking each individual how they feel about others posting in their threads, we cannot know how each will feel about others posting in their threads.

The community support forum is designed as a place where people can exchange ideas and thoughts and discuss matters related to addiction, recovery, healing, the workshop lessons, etc. The rule for the Community Support forum is that members stick to their respective forums (i.e. recovering members post in the recovery community support, and healing members in the healing forums). Sometimes there are valid reasons for discussions between both sides, in which case a "both sides welcome" will be noted in the subject line. This way, people who do not want to participate in these threads can avoid them and not inadvertently be exposed to something that could trigger them, depending on where they are in their own work, and those who want to participate can. Both sides welcome are not encouraged, though, because the majority of our members are relatively new to the workshop, and a great deal of maturity and healing and recovery are required to remain objective in such discussions. Also, it has been observed that some members use the both sides welcome clause as a loophole to try to get something from members of the other side (e.g. attention, to answer to their experience as a substitute for what they are not getting from their partner, to try to "reach" a particular member on the other side, etc.).

The aim of Recovery Nation is to be a place where people who are sincere about their recovery and healing can participate in workshops, received feedback on their work from mentors and coaches, commune with people who are going through similar experiences, and work toward health based living. We are not like other sites and we will deactivate accounts of members who disregard and violate the rules, especially when these breeches impact others in a negative way. The rules are here to create a positive, health-focused atmosphere.

Be well.