Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Slips from lesson 61
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:33 am 
Recovery Mentor

Hello all, reading threads I see so many of you stuck on the shame and guilt of a slip, losing ground instead of making a renewed commitment to learning the skills the will make slipping less frequent. This workshop is a radically different approach to recovery than most. It goes on the idea that healthy behavior will crowd out the need to act out, and in my expereince this is true. I slipped many times during early recovery, now I like what I do so much,that I really don't even have time to slip, I like my values and don,t want to abondon them. So please carry on when you slip, the best thing we can do in my opioion is map it out like the lessons on mapping rituals learn what area we need to address and go for it! Peace to you all.

From Lesson sixty one
Can Permanent Abstinence be Achieved?
Can a person recover from an addiction without ever having a 'slip'? Well yes, they can. But this is rare. Extremely rare. And when it does happen, the individual will force themselves through a period of abstinence that will not feel natural to them — which is why so many commitments to 'absolute abstinence' fall short.
The great majority of people in recovery will slip. That does not mean that you should expect yourself to slip or that slips are inevitable. The healthiest perception of 'slips' is to avoid them by basing every decision that you make on how your values are prioritized. With six months of experience in such decision-making, this is a realistic goal. But now, after spending the majority of your life relying on emotions to guide you, to expect yourself to just 'flip a switch' is unrealistic. To expect you to maintain absolute perfection in your emotional management skills, in your value awareness, in your decision-making from the moment you are exposed to these concepts is unrealistic. And so, you will slip. You will find yourself facing situations for which you are unprepared and you will return to what has already been ingrained: managing the emotions of the situation in the most effective way you know.