Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:17 pm 

Hey, I've used the search function but those terms are too common so there were no results. So I'm posting this question hiere.

I'm currently at step 6 of Lesson 39 (Select Initial Value for Development). That's the part where you start to chose specific values to put them through the "value-refining-loop" ie. step 7 to 14.
I'm not sure how many values I should chose to begin with. The lesson itself states the following:

Quote:
While we will be working with an individual value through each of these steps, you will eventually run each sexual value that you are developing through this loop. Many will even be in such development simultaneously. Step six requires that you select a single sexual value from your current foundation of sexual values to begin actively developing.

So I get the core principle. At best, every value should go through this process. But in the end it's more about the learning and it shouldn't be the goal to put everything through that list. I actually think that by working on my values that way many values might change before I even worked on themself. So I get that it shouldn't be the perfectionist goal to do this with every value on the list, but more that this is a process that starts with a few values and when it's fully established it just "goes" and picks up new values if necessary. To cut a long story short, how many values do I chose at first?
I think 3-5 might be a good number, like the "ideal ending" values from step 3. Since I'm actually doing this lesson twice (another list with romantic values), I might aim for 2 values simultaneously per list? I know that in the end it's more about what "flows" and provides the best sustainability, but to begin with I would like to have an average direction I could aim for.

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:32 am 
Recovery Coach

I found that working with 5-6 specific values worked best. The idea is that you will spend 5-10 minutes each evening reviewing your daily interaction with those values to see where you are, and how you are interacting with each value. That is 5-10 minutes, total, not for each value. As you seem to feel as if you are doing well with some of the values, rotate them out for different values you identify as being in need of work. I found it useful to have three or so of my values to be ones I always kept working with, and two or three to be the minor values which could be switched out as needed, but how you envision your work here is up to you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:37 pm 

Thanks, that sounds good. I like your system of focussing on a few areas where more work is needed and some other values that are more "nice to have". I'll try to find a good way of connecting both lists. I'll start with three sexual and three romantic values each. But I think I'll shift my focus more towards the romantic values, since this area definitely needs more work.