Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:29 pm 

I am on lesson 7 in the workshop. I am finding it difficult to come up with an action plan for some of my values. For example, I want to have clarity in my mind, and the ability to focus on things. All I can think of to achieve this is to meditate every day. I think this will help, but really I have no idea how to actually develop this in myself. Does this mean I need to do some extra research outside of RN to find out exactly how I need to go about achieving my goals?
Another example is I want to be articulate and conversational. Again, I have no idea what I need to do to be good at this so I don't know how to develop a proactive action plan for it.

Has anybody else had this difficulty too? How did you overcome it?
Thanks in advance for your help.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:52 am 
Recovery Coach

The best thing to do is to give your tasks a specific context. Don't just say "meditate." You need to meditate about something specific, and have that in mind far ahead of when you sit down to meditate. It's okay to transition into other things, but have it in your head to begin with what you have decided. This will help you to learn focus.

Another thing to do is find activities which require you to focus. For example, if you choose to read supplementary texts on addiction and/or recovery, then assign yourself to take notes on what you have read. Then, review those notes. You will be adding to the effectiveness of your recovery behaviors.

As for being articulate in conversation, you need to seek out opportunities to interact as well as read and research what it is you with to converse about. This will also help your focus as well. My point being, you need to find contextual activities which you can fold into your values, looking in the peripheral for opportunities.

Does this help?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:29 am 

Thanks, yes that is very useful. Thinking about the contexts that I want to apply my values to will help me to develop their action plans.
Thanks.