Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Coach Jon (Both sides)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:14 pm 
Partner's Coach

On occasion I go and read through the announcement of Coach Jon's passing. It's a strange thing to do, because I wasn't a member of RN at the time. But each time I do I find myself choked up with gratitude for what he gave me through RN. I discovered that May 2nd will be the 5 year anniversary of his passing and I wanted to take a moment to honor him. If you would like to, please feel free to do the same.

Coach Jon,
I sit here watching my children play, with dinner on the stove, and a husband on his way home; and I realize how very different my life would be were it not for your courage both to recover yourself, and to pave the way for others. My younger son would not have been born. My relationship with my husband would never have mended. I would not be living the life that I am so blessed to live right now. You took the hardest parts of your life and used them to make the hardest parts of other people's lives easier. There is no way to thank you enough. I hope there is a heaven for so many reasons, but one of them is that I hope for the opportunity to shake your hand and thank you, since I never had the chance here on earth. With much love,
Mrs. Jones

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:08 pm 

Oh my, Jones, how do we follow that?

When I started the thread to thank those who help us, Coach Jon figured heavily into the mix for me. You know what I liked most about him? He is a little harder on us. A man's perspective on what is almost 100% a man's problem.l feel like his truth makes me "sit up and take notice".

I agree- he took the worst of himself and used it to give his best to All of us. He is, still, Large and in charge. And he is my hero. God bless you and keep you, Coach Jon. We lost you too soon.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:42 am 
General Mentor

There is no way I can express how RN impacted on my life because I do not even begin to comprehend ... what I do know is that I can never go back to where I was or who I was before I found RN. At this point I am merely amazed of how a person managed to grow to such insight, not to mention changing the very core of who they are ... it is mind blowing, something to be honoured ... it is indeed a testimony of how amazing creatures we humans are and Coach Jon really took it to extremes ... for the benefit of so many others to follow. Thank you.

"A wholehearted attention feels like the nurturing presence that I always wished I had in a parent. Now I am free to be there for myself in a way that I assumed I needed from someone else." Tara Bennett-Goleman, Emotional Alchemy

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:13 am 

I feel the same way. Shorly after my coming here I realized he had passed years before. I felt a sense of loss, like I had lost a loved one. I actually cried. Strange how this experience has created such bonds with what would otherwise be strangers. I miss Jon very much and I never met him. But, somehow I feel I did. What he did for himself, recovering, was amazing enough but he went on to forge a path for others to follow. That he understood so well what we, the partners, need is a testament to his compassion and empathy. I wil never forget him, his story or what RN has shown me. I can barely express it in words

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:23 pm 
Recovery Coach

Brilliant Mrs Jones
I owe my sanity and my life to THE COACH, and the community that he founded on both sides of the addiction

great to be reminded of that as it re-enforces the resolution to never return to old Kenzo

stay healthy keep safe
Coach Kenzo

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:20 am 
General Coach (Admin)

I can't say much, Jon is the reason I am here doing what I do. He was an inspiration to me and I strongly felt that we were supposed to meet and from his passion, I was meant to carry on with RN and make sure his plans were carried out.

Miss you Jon, Hope you are smiling down on what we have managed to do in the past 5 years.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:25 pm 
Partner's Coach (Admin)

Perusing the support forum, and saw this post from back in May, and just wanted to add my own sentiments. I am ever so grateful for this site, and when I learned the news I was in shock and disbelief. I wasn't as clear as Cheryl on what would happen next, but I was clear that my role would be to continue to be a contribution to this community, for as long as circumstance (and my values) would allow it. As much as I recognize that Jon created this community, I also recognize that this community continually creates itself. This site truly represents "paying it forward" as I believe Jon intended from it's inception. Fortunately for all who have benefitted from the survival of Jon's legacy, Coach Cheryl was already involved in administrative support and possessed just the kind of personality and skill to take charge and keep this site alive.

So, in my belated commemoration of Jon, I include a commendation of Coach Cheryl and all of you (members, mentors, and coaches, alike) because without you the site would not exist. And I thank you all for allowing me to be a contribution.

Be well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:29 pm 
Recovery Coach

I saw this post back in May as well and meant to comment on it but just didn't get to it, so I'm glad you posted, Mel. I am also ever grateful for this site, as I have no idea where my life would be at the moment if I hadn't found it, as well as to CoachCheryl, CoachMel, and the rest of the coaching and mentoring team for all the work they've done on the site (as well as the occasional boots in the butt they've given me along my own path :w: ).

As I move along my own path and continue to embrace my real life (and intellectualize things less), the true depth of Jon's wisdom, insights, and achievement here has become ever more apparent to me. Even now, after I've read most of his writings several times, I'm still consistently blown away by many of them and I continue to see new aspects all the time when I go back. I still remember Jon on a weekly basis; quite something, for someone who you never met in person. I still get choked up occasionally as well.

Through my recovery, I am a fairly dedicated Zen practitioner now, and in our tradition, we believe in deeply respecting anyone who speaks the truth. When someone speaks the truth completely sincerely, for some reason, you just know. Even in the depths of my addiction and delusion, I knew Jon spoke the truth as soon as I read RN. He was a great human and I hope we can continue spreading the message of health-based recovery not only for these addictions, but for all addictions.

I loved your comment, Mel, about this community continuing to create itself. I again thank CoachCheryl, the rest of the coaching and mentoring team, and all the members for the work you do here and for allowing me to continuing to contribute. By improving your own life, by helping others improve theirs, you improve the world.

Boundless

"Be a lamp unto yourself." - Buddha

"The obstacle is the path."