Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ted talk
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:58 pm 
Partner's Coach (Admin)

Hi there,

I came across this Ted talk today, and it made me think of every member of our community (as well as of people outside this community). It is very powerful and I believe it might help people understand what is available to them through the work they do here. Of course, this notion (that this video is for everyone) is based on my own values. That said, if you have 20 minutes to spare, I suspect that everyone will take something worthwhile away from this talk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4Qm9cGRub0

Be well.

Post subject: Re: Ted talk
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:57 pm 

There are so many things she says that resonate with me in powerful ways. It takes so much courage to confront our deepest fears (our shame and its consequences), and surrender our control (accept that we are vulnerable). It is interesting to me, though, that the shame and vulnerability exist, whether we admit them or not. It is just that until we accept them, we are pawns instead of players to their power.

Even in encouraging that surrender in ourselves and others, we once again have to respect that we don't have certainty over the outcome - everything, theoretically, could turn out exactly as our worst fears imagined it - yet, it is the only action that can bring peace and contentment (wholeheartedness). What a gamble it feels like, until you have experienced the joy that can exist on the other side.

Thanks for sharing - I found this very encouraging.
thebagholder

Post subject: Re: Ted talk
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:22 am 
Partner's Mentor

I love Brene Brown. I found this same Ted talk a few years ago and watched several versions of it. I just watched it again. Thanks.

Nellie