Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:42 pm 

before i found this great website called recovery nation, i joined an online community of partners. it was a bit odd. i'm an atheist, and i'm a survivor of violence, not a co-addict. so what did i do? i wrote a 12 step for atheist survivors. to me, personalizing all the resources we encounter, translating them for our needs in the present moment, can be healing. it is in that spirit that i share that document here.

12 Steps for Atheist Survivors of Intimate Violence & Addiction

1. We admit that we are powerless over other people – so we work to make better choices for ourselves.

2. Believe that we have power, insight, and knowledge within ourselves, which can restore us to a healthier, more balanced, and positive existence.

3. Trust our beloved community to guide us toward healing resources, including other survivors.

4. Engage in a kind, loving, and reflective moral inventory of our lives. Our inventories allow us to better understand our actions, feelings, and thoughts and their consequences on ourselves and other people.

5. Admit to ourselves, without reservation, the exact nature of our struggles, including the harm we have caused. When appropriate, we invite other people to share their feelings and thoughts about our struggles and their social impact. We welcome these insights, even when we find them challenging, and we use this knowledge to pursue deeper healing.

6. Seek and accept help in healing our wounds.

7. Endeavor to eliminate our personal shortcomings with compassion and practice self-love.

8. Made a list of all people we have harmed and remain open to making amends to them.

9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

10. Made a list of the actions, experiences, and events that contributed to our suffering. We do so to release our pain, not nourish it, and bring closure and healing to ourselves, our loved ones, and our larger communities.

11. Made a genuine effort to maintain a positive attitude and remain honest with ourselves when tracing the root of our struggles and preparing for a better future.

12. Having a much stronger sense of self-love and purpose as the result of these steps, we carry this message to other survivors and practice these principles daily.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:02 pm 

Very nice! Thank you for sharing it :g: