Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cancer diagnosis
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:23 am 

Hello Everyone,

I don't come to the forum very often anymore, but I am coming now to request prayer for my husband. After nearly 6 years of staying true to himself, his values, and to me, he has been diagnosed with cancer. (It is a type of cancer that has metastacized from another part of his body and the doctors don't know where at this point.) We are not sure exactly what it all means until we meet with the oncologist but it sounds pretty scary. We are almost at the point of retirement, and so wanting to spend time with our young grandchildren. What my husband said tonight was so heartbreaking. He said that "After wasting so much time and nearly destroying our marriage, and nearly losing the respect of his children, he thought he could have the chance to write a positive chapter at the end of his life as a grandfather." We both wept. He is a wonderful grandfather and the kids love him so much. (They are 7, 5, 3 and 18 months.)

It is very sad for me as well. We've been through so much and have been victorious in so many ways in the past few years. He is the healthiest he has ever been in his life and his addiction is in the past. It has been a hard battle and I just really wanted at least a few years after retirement to enjoy one another and our family. God willing, maybe we still will.

Thank you to you all. Recovery Nation will always be a safe refuge for me. It literally saved me from drowning completely in the spring of 2010.

Hollyhock

Post subject: Re: Cancer diagnosis
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:45 am 

my heart and prayers go out to you and your family!
your words are such an encouragement to me! i have been drowning these last 10 months since discovery (which occurred 2 weeks after our retirement and 1 month before the birth of our 4th grandchild). to briefly hear your story and the healing & redeeming of your marriage gives hope to so many broken hearts.
i can't help but believe that goodness & blessing lie in the days ahead for your dear family!
with hugs and prayers---

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:11 am 

Hello Hollyhock.

My mum was diagnosed with late stage ovarian in March and I completely freaked out inside while appearing dead calm outside. I'm taking her tomorrow for her second round of chemo. I know it's easy to say, but don't panic. Things have moved on from the days when cancer was an immediate death sentence. It won't be easy and there will be good days and bad days, great days and horrendous days, just like with anything else in life. But I bet you will find that it brings you even closer together, and reminds you to treasure your time together. Try to stop your mind taking you to horrors that may never happen; live for today. Prayers and hugs x

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:21 pm 
General Coach (Admin)

Oh no! I'm just seeing this. I am praying for him and the whole family.