Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:53 pm 

So, since joining the site I've had the same pattern of checking posts. I begin in the partner's support forum, then the Self Help Recovery posts, then the self help forum and finally the partners lesson responses (I try to avoid these since I don't want to bias my responses to my own lessons).

Basically I've realized that I've been going through the recovery section to understand the addiction, to gauge recovery and I guess in a way as an effort to see if I'm still aware of the difference between a healthy recovery and someone who needs nudging in the right direction. I guess most of all it's to ensure I'm not missing something my gut is telling me is unhealthy with my partner.

I'm impressed by the work being done by those here in recovery, I'm hopeful for the ones I see struggling....so it's definitely not a judgment issue. I'm just concerned I'm invading their privacy, or violating their confidence in sharing openly.

So...am I crossing a line?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:14 pm 
Partner's Mentor

Hi hadenuff - It is okay to read the posts in the recovery forum and recovery threads. This is a public site, though we are allowed anonymity. Other mentors have told me they personally found it helpful to read threads and the forum (though as partners we should not comment on recovery threads or the recovery forum unless it is a "both sides" post). It sounds like it has been helpful to you as well. As long as reading and learning is consistent with your values and doesn't become it's own kind of compulsion, it can be another helpful resource.

With compassion,
dnell

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:06 am 

It honestly has been really helpful especially in understanding the other side. It's still not as easy for me to feel empathy/sympathy for my partner as it is the members here, but it has definitely increased the level of understanding needed.