Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:01 am 

My SA partner and I are working through the Couples Program. We are into Stage Two, but Stage Three to Six have to be unlocked. We have posted on various forums, and sent admin messages but cannot find out how to do this. The program is excellent and is helping us greatly. We would both be devastated if we cannot complete it. Please help if you can.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:48 am 
Partner's Mentor

Midnight - My understanding is that the founder of this site, Jon Marsh, had been working on the couples program before he died from cancer. He did not have time to complete it. This is a volunteer site, so it sometimes takes a while to hear back from others.

I would encourage you to complete the partner's lessons. They were very helpful to me. I would hope that your partner completes the Recovery lessons.

I am in marriage counseling and that is the way I address what Jon was working on in the couples program. In my case, marriage counseling would have not been of any benefit to me until my husband had been in active recovery and was fairly sober.

With compassion,
dnell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:02 am 

Hi Dnell,

Thank you for your reply. It is such a shame that we cannot complete the couples program. The content titles look excellent, and we have gained so much from Stage One. As we are both quite well advanced in our recovery/healing, we have completed this to a far deeper level than I suspect most couples do. It filled in a lot of gaps, and reinforced all that is good in healthy recovery. It has been an emotional but very satisfying journey so far. We are going to complete the individual recovery and healing programs, and frequently share our thoughts and insights etc. with each other. I am sure that we will both grow through this process and I will insure that my healing is not dependent upon my SA partner's recovery.

After, that, we will have to consider the next best steps. Paula Hall, a respected sex therapist in the UK, with published books on SA is writing a couples program, and so that could help if the timings work. Paula was my therapist some time back, and we could use her or one of her team for couples counselling, to bring everything together.

Any comments or advice will always be welcome.