Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:54 am 

Exercise 1 (SA)

Having been an addict for over 30 years this letter required a lot of work and thought. My partner (butterflywings) whom i have been with for 11 years has known about my addiction for most of that time and I have tried many different recovery methods.

The letter took 3 evenings to complete and became more of a story of my life rather than just a list of my compulsive behaviours / wrongdoings. The word "Purge" is used in the exercise descriptor and that is exactly how it felt; a cleansing of the soul so to speak. I read the letter several times before i sealed it and taped it up. Although I obviously knew all its content it still came as a shock to see it all laid out on a page and to realise just how all-encompassing my addiction has become.

The 3 days went by very quickly. The burning of the letter, I did late one evening in the garden. It was a very peaceful moment, just me and the stars for company. I am committed to recovery and following the steps in this programme.. Butterflywings has shown considerable support and understanding during the first two exercises and I owe it to our relationship to give it my full commitment.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:09 pm 

Exercise 2 (SA)

Surprisingly I really enjoyed this exercise. Putting everything in our lives to one side and spending a whole evening nurturing and caring for the number one person in my life didn't come naturally to me but I found it to be both relaxing and intense at the same time.

I started by cooking her a meal and feeding it to her as the exercise suggested. During this I played the CD we used to listen to when we first started dating. She got very moved by this. I found her ability to be vulnerable in front of me very touching. After the meal we danced for a while holding each other tightly.

Bathing her was also a very personal event. Although I have done this on previous occasions it felt different this time due to the level of intimacy already achieved earlier in the evening. Brushing her teeth was perhaps the most awkward moment but we both managed to see the funny side of it and had a good giggle.

I did read some poetry to her but it was text I was not really familiar with so it probably didn't sound as good as it should have! We ended the evening by me giving her a head massage which she said she found extremely relaxing.

We have discussed the day since on several occasions and both feel it created some very special moments and a level of intimacy we have not experienced for some time. We have both agreed to repeat it very soon.