Recovery Nation

Personal Development Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:34 am 
General Coach (Admin)

I received an email from Christy that Jon passed away Saturday afternoon. There is no other information as of yet. We will be suspending coaching for healing and recovery threads for the time being. Anyone who is in private coaching please be patient as we get through this horrible loss and the emotions that we all are going through. When more information is available it will be posted here.

My heart goes out to Christy and the kids. May God be with them through this heart wrenching time.

I invite you to share your sympathies to Jon's family in this thread.

With Love

Cheryl

****If you would like to donate to Jon's family please click HERE and you will be directed to the donation page****

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:59 am 

I am so very, very sorry for your loss. It is a huge loss for your family, for the recovery nation community, for all of us that benefit so unbelievably from his wisdom. In the short time I have been on this site, his responses have been life changing. I will truly miss his posting. I will be praying for his family and for the rest of the RN counselors for your loss and for direction for the future to carry on his legacy and continue on his vision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:26 pm 

Prayers for Jon's family and friends...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:12 pm 

'RN isn’t a ‘job’ to me, it is my life. When I die, it will be what I have accomplished in the hearts of my wife and kids…my friends…and what I was able to pass on to others through RN that will serve as my legacy'

This is taken from an email from Jon less than six months before he left his body. I will be forever grateful for the legacy he left, but I wish he was here with his wisdom, his individuality and his humor. Our lives were changed because we knew him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:25 pm 

Wowee.

Thanks for posting that, SR. I know for me his words and wisdom have helped me deal with an otherwise unbearable situation, and continues to provide everything I need to come out a stronger, healthier and more compassionate person on the other side.

I feel so fortunate to have gotten a piece of him while he was with us.

Thanks again, SR.

Patty

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:10 pm 

My heart truly goes out to the familly, friends and all mourning the death of the most wonderful Jon.
I am incredibly sad that this great man was not allowed more time here with all of us.
I signed up for personal coaching last week and had my first 'get to know you' session by phone on Wednesday morning. What a talented, compassionate, loving man. In one hour he calmed me, offered hope for my situation and helped me more than a full year in standard marriage counseling. He was incredibly skilled.
At the end of our conversation I told him how thankful I was that he had recovered from this terriblly destructive addiction. I told hiim that he was working a fantastic LEGACY . His response was that this was not just a job for him...HE LOVED WHAT HE DID EVERY DAY.
Jon offered to speak to my husband. That will never happen now.
After a time to settle, I implore all of you behind the adminstratioon of RN to please keep his legacy alive. There are so many of us out here in need. Please, please someone take the helm and carry on his legacy of compassion and hope and understanding. REcovery Nation is special. Please do not let it drift away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:32 pm 

SR, thank you for posting that quote from Jon.

He truly has left a pricelss legacy in the hearts and minds of so many. What a shining example of using our time on Earth meaningfully. May we all carry that light forward in our own unique ways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:21 pm 
General Coach (Admin)

I am making a memorial page for Jon to put up on RN. I want to be able to use some of your thoughts that you have shared here and on the other thread. I won't be able to use all but if someone doesn't want me to use theirs for whatever reason please just pm me so I know.

What beautiful thoughts and awesome hearts you all have. I thank you from all the coaches for your concern for us in addition to Christy and the kids.

Remember to take care of yourselves.

Cheryl

Last edited by CoachCheryl on Mon May 04, 2009 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:56 pm 

I have to echo what brighter_days has said. This work is Jon's legacy and is my/our lifeline. Please keep this site alive! What can we do to help??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:35 am 

I have recently come to find RN after almost two years of discovery, turmoil, reading, anger, mental instability, recovery work, therapy and finding an appropriate twelve step programme.

In the few short weeks I have found a consolidation and strong direction of healing to work through to achieve that aim. Thanks to the powerful, caring lessons here I will become the amazing person I know I am capable of being.

Deep sadness for Jon's wife, children and the special people who have passed through his life. It is often said that addictions can be fatal and their stresses they bring mark the lives of the addicts and recovered addicts in deep and destructive ways.

May he always be remembered for the hope, healing and commitment he brought to those in despair. Vale Jon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:25 am 

Shock does not express what I feel at this moment. Extreme sadness, yes. I hope he knows what a difference he made. I hope Christy and his children know this. From Canada with my heartfelt sympathy,
Sandra

Funeral Blues in As I walked out one evening
by W. H. Auden
Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.
Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:13 am 
Partner's Coach (Admin)

I am so sorry. Jon was such a contribution in all of our lives and I share the grief we are all expressing. It's overwhelming. But knowing how much he has meant to us... this can only be a slice of what he means to Christy and their children as well as other members of their family and friends. I am in shock. I feel sort of silly as I sit here wiping tears away but even though I did not know him personally, the impact that he has had on my life (through his work, through coaching conversations, through his online coaching) over the last (almost) two years now has had me create a foundation for my own life that will be everlasting and is the legacy (hopefully) that I am creating for my family. I have learned so much about myself... exponentially to what I have learned from other resources. As a volunteer coach, I am committed to continuing contributing in whatever capacity I am able to, as long as the site continues and as Jon would have advised, as long as I continue to derive meaning from.

I have three trees in my yard. On was planted in memory of my mom. One was planted in memory of S's mom. Last Spring/Summer S and I went out to the woods near our home and carefully dug out a maple sapling, Zeus, and transplanted it in our yard. Unfortunately we knew nothing of transplanting trees so Zeus didn't survive a week. Committed to completing the task with integrity (for us that meant having a living tree in our yard) we went to a local garden centre and purchased a tree (an Amur maple), learned from the experts how to transplant it and to continue to care for it until it was established, brought it home, dug the original hole a little deeper, layered in the organic matter with native soil, and placed the tree in the prepared bed and carefully blanketed the roots with backfill. We fittingly named the tree Amur because that is the type of tree it is and because Amur is close to amour and it was planted with love. Upon reflection, this exercise was much like the process of recovery. And, if you participated you will know the tree was planted inside of the couple's challenge. Amur already holds a special place in my heart, signifying the death and rebirth of myself (and of my marriage)... and now... I will always be grateful and when I look upon Amur, I will be reminded of Jon, of what he taught and what his work will continue to represent... his legacy.

My Deepest and Most Sincere Condolences,

Mel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:35 pm 

Christy

You and the children were the most important things to Jon.
He loved you dearly and was so proud of you all.

He enriched the lives of so many people across the world including my husband and mine....and his legacy is here for all to see...

What he meant to us all here at RN, is only a fraction of what he meant to you I will be keeping you in my heart and thoughts and prayers, wishing you all the strength and comfort you need in the days to come.
G

It's not the cards you are dealt that matters, its how how well you play your hand.

Last edited by Imokyoureok on Wed May 20, 2009 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:07 pm 
Partner's Mentor

Dear Christy,

My warmest and deepest sympathies for your loss.

Jon's wisdom, compassion, and humor were a blessing to this world. So many of us here at RN will continue to benefit from the growth and healing he has already helped us achieve. In the future, so many of us will experience even greater healing and growth, when we go back and read once more, the words we were not not ready to hear or understand the first time we read them.

We are eternally grateful to you, for the sacrifices that you have made, so that Jon could help us get through our own lives.

Minerva

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:06 pm 

I can't express the sadness and dismay to hear of Jon Marsh's passing. I haven't posted much here having only recently found this site, but I have to say that finding his site has probably done more to save our relationship than all the therapy, 12 step groups, reading and whatnot. He has left an astounding legacy and a work of such deep insight and healing behind him. My heartfelt condolences go out to his wife and children....

"From the moment you were born
Your death has walked beside you. Though it seldom shows it's face,
You still feel it
s empty touch
When fear invades your life,Or what you love is lost
Or inner damage is incurred.
Yet when destiny draws you
Into these spaces of poverty,
And your heart stays generous
Until some door opens in the light,
You are quietly befriending your death;
So that you will have no need to fear